Making your own salted caramel is a cinch, and it’s delicious poured over ice cream, used to sandwich together macarons or create a wicked filling for a tart. But I love it poured over popcorn. It’s sweet, salty, crunchy and so so addictive! I’ve been timid here with the salt, so if you like that real salty sweet flavour add a little more.
- 2 cups sugar
- 120g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 3 cups popcorn, air popped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Get a large baking tray and spray with a little oil spray.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Place the sugar into a deep frypan and heat on medium heat until sugar melts, tilting the pan without stirring until it is a golden colour.
- Lower the heat, and gradually add the butter and whisk until combined. Sprinkle with a little salt.
- Remove from heat and pour over the popcorn on the baking tray. Working quickly, toss through with two large spoons to combine as best as possible.
- Place in the oven for 5 minutes so the caramel melts. Then remove from the oven a mix again ro ensure all the popcorn is evenly coated.
- Leave on baking tray to set.
- Once set break up into pieces and eat. Store in an air tight container at room temperature