Forno means “oven” and implies a dish is baked in the oven. This is an easy dish where the pasta is cooked, dressed with sauce, put in a baking dish with some other tasty ingredients, covered in cheese and baked until golden. You can change this recipe and include whatever you like really, but I absolutely love the addition of Italian sausage.
You can buy good Italian sausage anywhere these days. Laced with chilli and fennel, they give a depth of flavour to this dish that is hard to beat. This is real family style food that will feed a crowd, can be prepared in advance and inexpensive and easy to make. What more could you ask for?
Serves: 6 - 8
- Olive oil
- I onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 1 red capsicum, de seeded and diced
- 6 bacon rashers, chopped
- 350gm fresh Italian sausages, skins removed
- 2 tblspns dried oregano
- 2 tblspns dried parsley
- 1 packet (500gm) dried penne pasta
- 500g Liliana's Classic Tomato and Basil Sugo
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Splash a little olive oil into a large frypan. Add the onion, garlic and capsicum and sautée until onions are translucent.
- Add the bacon and sausage meat, and cook. Break up the sausage meat with the back of a spoon while cooking.
- Add the herbs, season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat.
- Fill a pot with water and bring to the boil.
- Add a handful of salt, then add the pasta.
- Stir with a wooden spoon, then allow to cook until al dente (just cooked through).
- Drain the pasta in a colander then tip the pasta back into the empty pot.
- Add the cooked meat mixture from the frypan and the sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and stir.
- Tip the pasta into a large baking dish. Cover with grated cheddar cheese.
- Cook in the oven for 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden.
- This dish can be prepared up to baking stage and then covered with aluminium foil and refrigerated for 24 hours. Just put it straight into the oven, covered, for 20 minutes, then remove aluminium foil and bake for other 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden and pasta is heated through.