I can’t remember a night this salad was missing from our family dining table since I was a little girl. Like all Italian food, simple ingredients that work so well together. Because it’s so simple you really need to use the best tomatoes you can get your hands on.
There’s not much to it, ripe tomatoes (I like the baby Roma tomatoes, but any ripe tomato will do), garlic, onion and basil. Season with salt and pepper, a little olive oil and vinegar and that’s it. The best bit? Mopping up the juices at the bottom of the plate with a hunk of bread.
- 500 gm Baby Roma Tomatoes (or other ripe tomatoes)
- ¼ Spanish Red Onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 10 fresh Basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 3 tblspns extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tblspn red wine vinegar
- Ground Black Pepper
- If using regular tomatoes, cut them into bite size portions. If using Roma Tomatoes, cut them into halves.
- Place in a bowl. Add the onion, garlic and basil. Mix gently.
- Add the olive oil, vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix to combine. Serve.
- Note: This salad benefits from being made and dressed up to an hour in advance to let the flavours develop.