A very moreish salad, this flavoursome side packs a punch with it’s sweetness and earthiness.
The eggplant give an almost meaty texture to a beautifully vibrant salad. This is a great vegetarian meal on it’s own, or pair it with a simple roast chicken or lamb.
- I large eggplant, cut into 1 cm round slices
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups dry fine breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- olive oil, for shallow frying
- 2 cups Couscous
- 2 tbsp chicken stock powder
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 100gm flaked almonds, toasted
- 1 handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 handful of fresh mint, chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 200gm dried cranberries
- 200gm dried apricots, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 200gm feta, roughly crumbled
- ½ cup Greek yoghurt
- Place whisked eggs in a bowl. Place breadcrumbs mixed with parmesan cheese in another bowl. Place a frypan on moderate heat and fill to a 1cm depth with olive oil.
- Dredge the eggplant slices in egg, then coat with the breadcrumb mixture. Shallow fry for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Drain on absorbent paper and set aside.
- Place couscous in a heat proof bowl, cover with boiling water and the chicken stock powder. Stir, then cover with clingwrap for 10 minutes to absorb.
- Remove cover, fluff up with a fork and add the spices, fresh herbs, dried fruit, flaked almonds, onion, olive oil, lemon juice and mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, place eggplant on a plate, top with the couscous salad. Sprinkle with crumbled feta and dollops of yoghurt. Serve at room temperature.