Tagliata, meaning ‘cut’ or ‘sliced’ is a popular way of serving steak in Italy. Instead of everyone having a steak each, one or two impressive steaks are cooked and sliced to share. Of course you can serve 4 small steaks if you prefer. The Citrus Spice Rub really gives the steak some zing, and the Salsa Verde is full of fresh herbs and spiked with lemon.
Please note, the cooking time will be determine by the size of your steak. I prefer to make this with a really big piece, say 400-500gm. However it all depends on the size of the steaks you choose, so adjust cooking times to suit what you have.
- 3 tblspn olive oil
- 4 tspn Liliana's Citrus Spice Rub
- freshly crack black pepper
- 2 large pieces of sirloin, rib eye or other steak of your choice
- OR 4 small steaks to serve individually
- Salsa Verde:
- 2 tspn basil, finely chopped
- 3 tblspn fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 tspn fresh chilli, seeds and membranes removed, finely chopped
- 1 tblspn capers, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of ½ a lemon
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Mix the Citrus Spice Rub and olive oil in a shallow non-reactive baking dish. Add the steaks and turn over the coat. Add a grinding of pepper and cover in cling wrap and allow to marinate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to make the Salsa Verde mix the basil, parsley, minced garlic, chilli, capers, zest, lemon juice and olive oil in a bowl. Whisk so everything is combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat a fry pan or barbecue to high heat. Remove steaks from marinade and allow excess to drip off. Reserve. Season generously with salt and pepper. Make sure the pan or barbecue is very hot, then add the steaks. Cook 1 minute per side, brushing with a little marinade as you turn. Now cook, turning every minute until cooked to your liking – about 6 minutes in total for medium rare on a 500gm steak. Remove from heat, cover loosely with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Place steaks on a wooden board and slice diagonally. Spoon over some Salsa Verde and serve immediately.