This is the basis of many many meals. This makes around 2 litres of sauce, so if you don’t need it all freeze the rest for another day. This really simple, but so good. A simple plate of your favourite pasta dressed with this sauce is a great traditional Italian dinner everyone will love.
Serves: approx 2 litres
- olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- 6 x 400g tins diced tomatoes
- 125ml water
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- pinch of salt
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- Splash a little olive oil into a saucepan and saute the onion, celery and carrot over a medium heat for 3 - 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes, water, oregano and salt. Stir to combine, increase the heat and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the basil leaves, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Cook for 5 minutes more. Transfer everything to a food processor and blitz to make a smooth sauce.